Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

More ramblings....

As I've gotten older I've noticed that nearly everyone I meet, the popular music I hear and hit movies I see all remind me of a person, song or movie from my past. I suppose this is inevitable as we add on experiences year after year. Okay, I'll say it, I'm getting old. Beats the alternative right?   : )

I haven't had that feeling with the bowed psaltery nor the traditional music I'm learning and enjoying so much. I can't really specify which instrument the bowed psaltery truly reminds me of and the songs, as old as most of them are, seem fresh in their simplicity and straightforward style. If any seem familiar it's because the actual song was a part of my youth, not a similar song. My grandmother and my mother sang some of these songs to me while others I learned at Girl Scout camp.

Discovering the bowed psaltery and the people and music that have come with it has rejuvenated me, given me the gift of creative discovery and enthusiasm. The experience has given me a new way to look at things yet at the same time it has reintroduced me to my past adding a subtle continuity to my life. 

Old and new are inextricable, a beautiful example of the duality of life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment